Blender 2.8 Testing #1

.start .end


After a long gap, I finally got to testing a WIP build of Blender 2.8. I was urged to download the WIP build while watching a BlenderToday video on YouTube.



I headed over to https://builder.blender.org/download/ and downloaded blender-2.80-c052346-win64-vc14.zip on my Windows10 machine.


For testing out the user interface and workflows, I decided to use the Amazon Lumberyard Bistro model that I had downloaded earlier.


Outright, I ran into a limitation of Blender 2.8: I was not able to import the FBX file, so I imported it in Blender 2.79, saved the blend file and then opened in Blender 2.8.
After loading the Bistro blend file in 2.8, I noticed that the viewport shading was not what I am used to seeing in 2.79 and earlier. So, I started exploring the Toolbar and Properties panels. Some of the properties have been moved to the viewport header.
Next step was to setup the World lighting. I added an environment texture and pointed it to the hdr map provided by the model file that I downloaded in the earlier step. Finally I enabled ambient occlusion.
Another limitation of the FBX import that I noticed was that the shading networks were not setup properly. So I had to manually setup it up.
After enabling all the node based materials and linking the textures, I was able to achieve the following result. Note that I only tested with the Base color texture, although the downloaded model came with specular and normals maps as well.


References


satishgoda at gmail dot com
satishgoda at live dot com

Comments

Popular Posts